http://www.one.org
The U.M. Post

Monday, October 6, 2008

Maintaining Balance between Sports and Education

By Michelle Ramaiah

Many students would be involved in sports while studying and though it is much fun, often there could be an imbalance when the scale tips towards sports and not school. Students who are active in sports sometimes have to study hard at the last minute to catch up or even give up sports to spend more time for studies. So before one gets into that situation, balancing between studies and sports is the key for success. High school students especially find juggling sports and studies as their biggest challenge but a great sportsperson, one who loves hockey, made his way into this prestigious University of Malaya.


Kevin: “You know you can achieve anything in life if you really, really want it,”


Kevinder Singh s/o Makbul Singh, 23, is a National Hockey Player (Midfielder) doing his bachelor in Sports Science at University Malaya. Although he spends most of his time playing hockey, he still manages his studies well. Kevinder's father is his idol who had introduced him to hockey when he was young. Unfortunately, his father had passed away but the passion for the game still lives on. Moreover, “my siblings and I share the same passion that is hockey, said Kevin.” This sportsman from Kuala Lumpur who is the second of three siblings said that he finds it easy to comprehend the theory that is being taught in this course and to apply it in his life.

His friends call him Kevin. He said that, “You know you can achieve anything in life if you really, really want it,” Many of us want to find that balance between work and play so do we really want to achieve that? Well, it is said, “No pain, no gain.” It till definitely take some hard work, ingenuity and a serious commitment to achieve that balance. “I personally know some who have successfully integrated their studies and sports who took this whole balance thing very seriously.” They are Jiwa and Jivan Mohan, the both brothers are successful now in their own fields. Time management was the secret to their success.

Kevin played hockey since nine years old. His idol is Dhanraj Pillai, former captain of the Indian hockey team. He is the recipient of India’s highest sporting honour, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award. Dhanraj is one of the most gifted forward of his era with a small frame and flowing locks.” He is my inspiration and I want to be like him one day and earn my place.” said Kevin

In Standard Five, he was called to represent his state for the under 12 tournament which was his first tournament and his stepping stone. Later in Form 1, he played for under 18.
I have represented my School, the District and the State several times and 2005 was the best year ever because I played for the Junior World Cup Holland and received the most promising player title,” said Kevin.

He was really excited because getting that title was his sweetest memory and became the inspiration to focus on hockey. It led him to the National Team. “In the National Team we are like a family and we have a strong bond among us. Among the tournaments he have played are the World Cup Qualifier in 2006, Olympic Qualifier, Asia Cup, Azlan Shah Tournament and Few Invitations Tournament.”

` Since Form Four, his dream was to get into University and he set his goals and priorities. When he applied, he was offered the course and the University which he aimed for and it was like a dream come true. In the beginning, university was quite difficult but eventually he got used to it.
“I usually study 4 hours a day,” Kevin added. If he skipped any lessons because of sports commitments, he would see his lecturers to catch up. Kevinder is also a KPT Scholar and maintaining studies is a priority. Sometimes he would turn down some of the tournaments. “I have great bunch of friends who are always there for me. Usually I study and do assignments together with my friends. Apart from all these I still enjoy my youth life and do whatever I feel like doing. So the most important thing I would emphasize that we should have good time management so that we will be well balanced in life. “

Many would say those manage between sports and studies wouldn’t have much time for the family. However, for Kevin, it’s family first. He spends his free tm with his loving mother who always supports and encourages him even when he isn’t around much. He says, “I am who I am because of her. My mum is my angel in my life. Besides that, my other siblings also give me a lot of support and I am so glad I have a family who is there for me always. We should believe in God and ourselves so that we can achieve our goals. My motto of my life is 'Serve to Lead’ which I believe that now I am serving you and one day I will lead you.”

Therefore the key to maintaining that balance is good time management. The support of family and friends also plays a key role in Kevin’s life.


UM-Post thanks Kevin for his time and wishes him all the best in his future undertakings as well as more wins in championships to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My HELP psychology dept Dean said got research backing up on "Healthy body, healthy mind" It goes to say that with sports and studies, they go hand in hand, when you exercise, your brain sorts of have a workout too and stays alert to absorb more info. Balancing i admit will be hard, but nothing cannot be achieved, its all time management, and people can do it. We must learn to manage time in order to be effective.

Christopher said...

hmm .. well personally i think that the system here in NUS is significantly more dificult to strike such a balance. Firstly, to get on campus accomadation as a international student we need a crazy amount of CCA points. To give a sense of how much , its 3 sports and 3 committees to make it comfortably.

Well add that up to studying .. = madness...

Anonymous said...

Sports are important in education as well, but so are other extra curricular activities. Do not let studies interfere with your education !